No territory conceded under disengagement pact with China: MEA
India and China concluded the withdrawal of troops and weapons from the North and South banks of Pangong Tso last week
The Ministry of External Affairs has made clear that India has not conceded any territory to China under the disengagement agreement, rather it has enforced observance of the LAC to prevent any unilateral change in the status quo.
“India has not conceded any territory as a result of this agreement. On the contrary, it has enforced observance and respect for LAC and prevented any unilateral change in the status quo,” MEA Spokesperson, Anurag Srivastava said during the weekly press briefing on Thursday.
He further said that there has not been any change in India's position on the LAC and the mutual redeployment as a result of the disengagement process should not be misrepresented.
“As regards the disengagement in Pangong Tso the factual position was very well conveyed by Raksha Mantri, Rajnath Singh in parliament in his statements,” the MEA Spokesperson stated.
He added, “Subsequently, you would have also seen that the MoD has issued another statement on February 12 clarifying and setting the records straight on certain misleading and misinformed comments that appeared in the media.”
The MEA Spokesperson informed that the 10th meeting was held within 24 hours of the completion of disengagement by the two sides from North and South banks of Pangong Tso.
He also said that there were candid and in-depth exchange of views along the disputed areas in the western sector and both sides view the successful completion of disengagement on North and South banks of Pangong Tso as a significant step for the resolution of issues so as to achieve the eventual goal of complete disengagement at all friction areas.